Chihuahua Breed Overview
This breed is the one of smallest dog breed. Its name derives from the place of origin in Mexico. They come in different varieties. They are known for tiny size and large eyes. They have large ears and a long tail.
They come in a variety of colours such as:
- Steel blue
Types of Chihuahua
– They can also differ in length, which means that they can have short or long hair. Long-haired ones shed less than short-haired.
The average height can go up to 23 cm
Weight can go up to 3 kg.
Their lifespan is longer than other dog breeds, and they could live up to 18 years.
- Suitability for Children – Low
- Tendency to Bark – High
- Energy – Medium
- Suitability as a Guard Dog – Medium
- Grooming Requirements – Once a Week
- Trimming Required – None
- Amount of hair shed – Moderate
- Food Cost – upto $5
- Average Monthly Pet insurance Premium – $44
Origin of Chihuahua
This is considered as one of the oldest dog breeds in North America. They descended from Techichi, and there were signs that they depict back Before Christ.
The modern breed was found in the 1850s in Mexico.
It was bought in the USA in the beginning of 20th century. Some people state that it has roots in fennec fox. Other sources tell that Chihuahua is a combination of Papillons and Pomeranians.
The personality of Chihuahua reflects the owners but generally speaking that have similar behaviour as terriers. They are amazingly devoted to their masters, and sometimes they can be over-protective to other strangers and especially dogs.
That is why it is not a great option in case that you have a family with young children. The reason why it is popular is that you don’t have to maintain it frequently, and they are great companions for elderly people.They are very intelligent, but you will have to break a sweat until you train it completely. It is important to socialize it with other dogs from a young age.
Common Chihuahua Conditions and Diseases
Hypoglycaemia– Chihuahua is prone to problems with low blood sugar. Of course, this is not an issue if you find it in early stages, but if you leave it untreated it could be fatal. You can see their problem in the case that they are trembling and shivering often. If you find out, go to vet immediately. However, you should be able to.cover your Chihuahua with PetCareand that way you can rest assured for all additional expenses.
- The most popular Chihuahua is the one from Paris Hilton, but other celebrity owners were Marilyn Monroe, Britney Spears and much more.
- They have starred in numerous movies such as Beverly Hills Chihuahua and Legally Blonde, for example.