Although not toxic, cherries are not recommended for dogs due to several reasons. First of all the cherry pits, leaves and stems contain a chemical compound – cyanide which is extremely toxic and potentially fatal. Additionally, if swallowed, the pits can cause intestinal obstruction and if inhaled can lead to choking.
Even of you remove the pits from the fruit’s meat, cherries are still not suitable for dogs. It is because the cherry’s meat is quite hard to digest and if the dog eats it, chances are it will experience gastrointestinal discomfort.
Even maraschino cherries (pits-free cherries) are not appropriate for dogs, because they are additionally sweetened.
With everything being said, considering all the troubles cherries may cause in dogs, it can be concluded that they are simply not worth the risks.